Sunday, May 11, 2008

Wall Street Movies suck balls

I spent college watching movies like Wall Street, Boiler Room and the Lord of War. Of these, only Lord of War is now a fond memory. Wall Street has been exposed as a movie about an idiot who is conned into insider trading. Boiler Room deals with a bunch of small time chumps who make their money conning old ladies into buying dodgy Nasdaq stocks. Why I see these stories as pathetic is simply because my friends and I are now bigger ballers than these clowns.

It is a shocking pity that the real-life of a puny Wall-Street analyst is much more exciting than these so-called "iconic" finance movies. The only explanation I can think of for this depressing phenomenon is that directors have dumbed down these movies to please the box office.

Things seem to be turning around though. The guy who brought us Entourage is busy on a new series about a group of hedge fund managers and their lives and lifestyles. He has promised not to dumb down any details and let the dramas of high finance speak for themselves. I hope he succeeds, my brother is going to start studying Finance next year and I dont want him motivated by the same drivel I was.

1 comment:

charlie said...

Hey man, since you used to watch Wall Street and Boiler Room in college. I wonder if you and your buddies ever did this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEF67pXzJgU

quote the scene in Boiler Room where they are quoting Wall Street.

Its a grand tradition.