Monday, May 26, 2008

Buying Self-Worth at IFC Mall

Once a month, atleast, the shocking truth of a trader's sole purpose on earth hits him/her/it in the head. We ask a simple, yet terrifying question of ourselves: why do I do this shitty job?

Well, its obvious. We work, and thus live, for the acquistion, storage and spending of money. The last of these three phases is the most important. Without this vital release, we are angry Monarchs, potent with pent-up purchasing power, straining at our emotions and our fears. Occasionally, we roar in fury and buckle the knees of the plebians and patricians of retail alike. We ride towards the city, our chariots kicking up the dust in the face of those who meekly follow.

The grand palace of the Hong Kong retail experience is the IFC Mall in the centre of the city. All the brands conceived in the minds of cynical style-mongers, genius homosexuals and every combination in between, is housed in this elegant intersection of glass, marble and steel. Housing thousands of people at any one time, it still exudes a reverent hush. For good reason. It is here that lives are given meaning.

My first visit was to my trusty Brooks Brothers store. I had noticed that every second managing director had checked shirts. Not the ones you can buy on the streets of Madras, but rather creations sculpted by warrior gnobes in the forests of Sweden. I settled for the non-iron, poplin produce of dexterous Filipino hands. Two window-pane shirts and HKD 1500 later, I was feeling the first head rush of retail emancipation.

In search of further freedom from mental slavery (didja catch the Marley reference), I entered the home of an old friend, Armani Exchange. I had not bought a whisper-thin, peruvian cotton, brazen be-logoed T-shirt since college and I picked up two just for old time's sake. I will wear them when I feel good about my body as well as my soul. I had fulfilled my quest, my heart was lighter and my spirit soared.

My last purchase was a pair of D&G aviator sunglasses. They were something I really did need. The sun shines much brighter up above the clouds.

2 comments:

Freakonacher said...

Very disappointing post... not one mention of Omega or Breitling or even a bloody grandfather clock.

AnthonyJS said...

Priced out of that game sadly.